Drinking Water Scare in Lancashire
United Utilities has issued a warning to customers in parts of Lancashire yesterday after contaminated water was found at a treatment plant.
United Utilities is advising customers in Blackpool, Fylde, Wyre, Chorley, Preston and South Ribble to boil their water for drinking, food preparation and brushing teeth as a precaution until further notice.
It comes after routine tests at Franklaw Water Treatment works in Preston detected traces of cryptosporidium – a microscopic parasite which can cause sickness and diarrhoea.
A map showing the areas affected by the water contamination scare has been issued.
Cryptosporidium causes the Diarrheal illness Cryptosporidiosis, which is typically an acute short term infection. Water-borne cysts such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia are very common in water supplies all over the world. These cysts are particularly worrying because:
- They can be found in human and animal faeces, so it is very easy for them to find their way into water supplies.
- They have a low infective dose. In other words, you do not have to ingest many cysts to become ill.
- They can cause problems of the stomach and digestive tract, including potentially life-threatening diarrhoea.
- They are resistant to chlorine and other chemicals, so traditional water treatment methods are not sufficient to guard against them.
- They can survive for long periods in the environment.
- It can become severe and non-resolving in Children and people with low immune systems.
How do i get rid of Cryptosporidium from my water?
The simplest and easiest way to get rid of cysts such as Cryptosporidium from your water supply is by using a water filter, in order to remove these types of contaminents the filters must use Absolute filtration of less than 1 micron (1 thousandth of a millimetre).
Doulton or British Berkefeld water filters are the ideal solution, independent testing has shown that they remove >99.999% of Cryptosporidium and Gaurdia cysts.
Finerfilters Ltd have a range of Cryptosporidium Removal Under-sink drinking water sytems, which include Doulton and British Berkefeld drinking water systems ,Stainless steel gravity fed systems, and RIO 2000 whole house systems. We also offer replacement cartridges for Cryptosporidium removal.
Our friendly team are on hand to give you advice on Cryptosporidium removal, visit our website www.finerfilters.co.uk, call on 01704 807600 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.